JFM Policies, Procedures and Rules
The Janesville Farmers Market is dedicated to providing the community a sustainable outlet to obtain fresh, locally grown food, agricultural products and quality handcrafted items, as well as educational opportunities, while promoting a vibrant, healthy and broad-based community activity in the heart of downtown Janesville.
Goals of the Janesville Farmers Market
- To enhance the image of downtown Janesville by providing a vibrant, healthy and broad-based community activity in the heart of downtown.
- To draw attention to downtown retail and recreational opportunities.
- To foster positive social interaction between a cross-section of famers, the arts community. not-for-profit community groups, community members and visitors.
- To promote a healthy lifestyle by making available a wide variety of quality, fresh produce and farm products.
- To provide an educational forum for consumers to learn the uses and benefits of high-quality, locally grown produce and other agricultural products.
- To present consumers and local farmers an opportunity to interact directly with one another.
- To preserve Wisconsin’s unique agricultural heritage and the historical role farmers’ markets have played in that heritage.
- Farm products welcome at the Market include fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, cheese, canned fruits and vegetables (vendor-produced in a licensed commercial kitchen or following the pickle bill), honey, sorghum, maple syrup, cider, plants (annuals, perennials, nursery stock, house plants, fresh and dried flowers, fresh and dried herbs, items made entirely with raw agricultural products.
- All prepared foods must be produced from small, local businesses. All prepared foods must come from a licensed commercial kitchen or be prepared on-site through a temporary food establishment permit. Prepared foods welcome at the market include bakery items and candy, jams and jellies, deli foods and sandwiches, local restaurant foods, pasta, granola, oils that are locally pressed and/or bottled.
- All artisan products must be vendor-produced.
- All authors must have authored the books being sold.
- Products from all of Wisconsin and 100 miles outside of Janesville, WI will be considered, based on market need. Preference will be given to Wisconsin vendors.
- Products outside the “List of Approved Products” are not to be sold without the expressed permission of the Market Manager.
- All individuals and organizations whose goods are in compliance with Market rules and guidelines and wish to participate at the Market, must complete the appropriate paperwork and submit all necessary local, state and federal regulatory documentation to be a vendor.
- A vendor will not be allowed to vend at Market without submitting a completed Vendor Application. Once the Market Manager receives all necessary documentation, he/she will process your application and call or send an email confirming your completed application and stall assignment.
- The JFM strives to keep the market at a balance of 75% farm vendors. Exceptions to this rule are made at the discretion of the Market Manager.
- Vendor Stalls are 10 feet X 10 feet. A vendor may purchase up to two (2) stalls.
- Stalls do not include parking. Parking fees are as follows: Seasonal $50 per stall, Partial Season $20 per stall, Daily $5 per stall
- Market sales hours are Saturdays, May through October, from 8 am to 1 pm.
- Vendors must be set up by 7:30 am and remain set up until 1 pm.
- There will be no motorized vehicles allowed within the market grounds between 7:30am and 1pm. Exceptions to this rule will be made at the discretion of the Market Manager and with escort.
- Vendors who have sold out may leave early if doing so will not require the operation of motorized vehicles within the market or compromise the safety of vendors and customers.
- Seasonal/ Partial Seasonal Stallholders: Vendors must notify the Market Manager if they will not be present on any contracted Market day. Stall assignment priority for the next season is determined by this year’s level of participation and if notice was given when not present on any contracted market day.
- Daily Stallholders: Vendors must provide at least 24 hours notice to the Market Manager of their intent to participate at Market on a specific date. At the time of notification, vendors will also inform the Market Manager of the products they intend to sell.
Market Day Policys
- Sales Practices: Vendors must follow all appropriate practices required by law including the use of scales certified for legal trade, proper handling of potentially hazardous foods, certification for products advertised as organic, etc. Enforcement of these practices is left to the proper local, state and federal agencies.
- Tents: Shade tents must be weighted properly. Janesville Farmers Market is not responsible for losses or damages caused by tents.
- Insurance: The Janesville Farmers Market does not carry liability insurance for vendors. Vendors of potentially hazardous products must carry insurance. Insurance is recommended for all vendors.
- Garbage: Vendors are responsible for proper disposal of all refuse. You must leave the street clean and free of debris, including plant matter and food waste. Garbage and recycling bins are provided for customer use. Large amounts of food waste, cardboard boxes, etc. must be carried off-site.
- Behavior: Vendors are expected to conduct themselves in a courteous manner to other vendors, Market personnel, volunteers and Market patrons. Threatening, abusive or harassing behavior constitutes a violation of the Janesville Farmers Market rules and is grounds for dismissal from the Market.
- Smoking: Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the Market site.
- Pets: Pets are not permitted at the market. Service dogs are the exception to this rules
- Noise: Loud or disturbing noises should be kept to a minimum in the Market area. Vendors should not play music at a sound level which disturbs other vendors or Market patrons. The operation of motors or engines is generally not permitted.
Inclement Weather/Market Closing
- Inclement Weather/ Market Closing: The market is open rain or shine. In the case of severe weather, the Market Manager will make the determination regarding closing the entire market early.
Market Manager: Please call (608) 289-9292 to reach the Market Manager during the market and between 9 am and 2 pm on weekdays.
The Market Manager uses his/ her reasonable discretion regarding the enforcement of Market rules. The Market Manager has the right to dismiss any vendor from the Market for any violation of rules set forth in this document and/ or any violation of a regulatory code or law. Any vendor dismissed from the Market surrenders any stall fees paid.
Vendors and customers who witness a violation of market rules are encouraged to submit a Grievance Form within eight (8) days of the violation. The Market Manager will follow up on grievances within two weeks with a written response to all concerned persons. If a violation is found, the Market Manager will issue a written warning to the vendor who committed the violation. If the situation continues the following week, the Market Manager will dismiss the vendor from the market.